Wednesday 3 September 2014

Next Book Release and Thoughts on Content

So it's almost here! I'm in the very final stages of Wildlanders' Woman, and I'm so excited to be putting it out! I'm actually waiting for just one more thing, some legal advice. In the book, I go into some of the back story of Daven and Killian's relationship. As I've stated in the character profiles, they have been together since they were in their teens. Though my discussion of their relationship at that stage is brief, and certainly not graphic or titillating, I feel it's best to be cautious.

I am an erotic romance writer. I love the genre, and I believe it can be an amazing form of art, and a beautiful way of celebrating love and the expressions thereof. I'm using the series to grapple with some of the problems that come out in this genre, including that of consent. (Which I will discuss in another post). The characters also have to deal with their own wants and needs, and the question of fulfilling every sexual urge they have versus maintaining their loving relationships. I believe it's quite possible for us to enjoy and celebrate love and sex, while at the same time looking at these issues. I write menage relationships with m/m elements, and I don't shy away from the idea that sexuality is fluid, and that many people are not black-and-white 'gay or straight', especially in the world of this series.

In the world of the series, a historical, high-fantasy world, it makes sense that sexual relationships develop at this age. Hell, sexual relationships develop between teenagers just as much, or more, today, even though there are certain political and religious elements that would prefer to pretend that isn't happening. Even if there were no laws against it, I still would not write graphic descriptions of young teenagers having sex simply because I'm not comfortable with thinking about it, and the idea of some pedophile reading my work for his/her own sick fulfillment is horrifying to me.

In the context of the story and the characters, it's important to show some of their beginnings, so I must include that. I'm getting the advice I need to keep it from being considered exploitative. If the advisory comes back that it's too much, I will, indeed, go back and raise the ages to eighteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment